The goal of this project was to gather and analyze information related to the availability, suitability and cost of mercury-containing versus mercury-free mass products in developing countries (DCs) and countries with economies in transition (CiTs). In order to have a broad picture of the global situation, two countries were selected to represent each of four UN regions:
- Africa: Kenya, Senegal
- Asia: China, India
- Eastern Europe: Kyrgystan, Russia
- Latin America: Brazil, Mexico
In each of these countries local non-governmental organizations (NGOs) carried out the survey in two or more selected major cities according to prepared questionnaires.
The study gives an overview about selected mercury-containing products and their mercury free alternatives in the above specified countries. The following widely-used consumer products were considered under this approach:
- thermometers and blood pressure meters used in hospitals and medical practices,
- thermometers for use in the home,
- skin-lightening products,
- common batteries and
- dental materials used for restoring teeth.
Read the report for more details.