IPEN (International Pollutants Elimination Network), is a global network of public interest NGOs working together for a toxics-free future for all. We work for a world in which toxic chemicals and waste are no longer produced or used in ways that harm human health and the environment. IPEN elevates local knowledge into global United Nations policy arenas, to bring about change in developing and transition countries.
Does it sound interesting? Then please read on, because right now we aim to expand our team with a dedicated Communications & Development Director, based in the IPEN office in Berkeley, CA, US.
As Director, you will collaborate closely with IPEN team members as well as regional affiliated organizations and individuals all over the world. You will have broad responsibility for leading IPEN’s Communication & Development Team, including assessing, developing, and implementing IPEN’s overall communication and media strategy. This full-time role includes managing IPEN’s messages, mission, and brand among target audiences and donors. You will also work closely with, and report to, the IPEN General Manager. Your key responsibilities will be:
- Lead, monitor, plan, and develop the work of the IPEN Communication and Development Team and its members.
- Serve as IPEN’s brand manager, including developing consistent implementation of IPEN’s brand in all its materials (e.g., website, social media program, publications, presentations, press releases, etc.).
- Serve as IPEN’s senior editor, writing and producing persuasive, high-quality communications materials, e.g., annual IPEN reports, narrative stories of impacts, and case studies that reflect IPEN’s brand and messages.
- Take responsibility for managing, engaging, and growing IPEN’s national and international network of media contacts, and develop and implement effective media strategies that achieve IPEN’s objectives.
- Build communication and media capacity among IPEN’s more than 600 Participating Organizations around the globe.
- Assist the General Manager (International Coordinator) in developing and implementing fundraising strategies; writing proposals, donor reports and funder communications; conducting outreach; and attending events.
We are a small secretariat with staff and advisors based in several locations all over the world supporting the IPEN network. This means that you will need to be able to travel (pending pandemic status and safety regulations) and work outside of regular office hours due to members in various time zones. To perform in our context, we want you to:
- Hold a B.S/B.A in related field (Public Relations, English, Journalism, Advertising, Communications, Marketing, or Political Science).
- Have demonstrated experience and success in communications, fundraising, and event planning, preferably with an organization engaged in advocacy or issue-based campaigning.
- Have the ability to meet firm deadlines and communicate proactively around meeting those deadlines.
- Have exceptional writing skills, including the ability to develop concepts and manage the writing and production of advocacy and information materials, media materials, and online and new media/web communications.
- Have strong oral communications skills, including the ability to explain communications principals, engage the media, make presentations, and so on.
It is also considered a merit if you have experience in international affairs, working in or with partners in low- or middle-income countries, or working on environmental issues. If you speak other UN languages at a proficient level, it will be of great use at IPEN.
These are our square technical requirements, but since we are a small team and a mission-driven organization, we also emphasize personality and motivation in this recruitment process. You probably identify yourself as someone who is an appreciated leader and manager with entrepreneurial mindset, and are able to jump into tasks to get the job done. You like challenges, are flexible enough to deal with global dynamics, and are a fast learner. You enjoy networking, as well as being on stage.
Questions about the position or about IPEN should be directed to the hiring agent, Recreatio, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the IPEN position title in the email subject.
Equal Employment Opportunity
IPEN is an equal employee opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by law.
Established in 1998, IPEN is global network of environmental and public health organizations in more than 120 countries. IPEN brings together these leading organizations from around the world to establish and implement safe chemicals policies and practices that protect human health and the environment. Over the past few years, IPEN has earned media as an information source for major international news outlets, covering our research and policy perspectives.
For more information about us, please visit ipen.org