Google Translate


A Toxics-Free Future


Mercury At-a-Glance

12 June 2012 - 2:12pm -- ipen

Exposure to high levels of mercury can permanently damage the brain and kidneys and has been shown to affect a developing fetus, even months after the mother's exposure. In the aquatic environment, mercury can be transformed into methylmercury, a compound that is more toxic at low doses than pure mercury, absorbed by sea life, and then ingested by humans and other animals that eat seafood.

Zap Page: 
Policy Area: 
Chemical Priority: