Quick Views - Mercury Treaty COP5
Download the full Quick Views below or find the text here.
The fifth Conference of the Parties (COP-5) of the Minamata Convention on Mercury (Mercury Treaty) will take place in Geneva from 30 October to 3 November 2023, and several important decisions will be discussed. These decisions may include:
- Effectiveness Evaluation indicators
- Amendments to Annex A (products) and Annex B (manufacturing processes)
- Establishing mercury waste threshold concentrations (Category C) under Article 11
In addition, IPEN will raise awareness on three important issues that are not on the agenda at COP-5 but should be on the agenda for COP-6 as they are critical to the objectives of the Convention of reducing global mercury pollution and protecting human health. These objectives may be best served by
- Ending the global mercury trade.
- Prohibiting Artisanal and Small-Scale Gold Mining (ASGM) as an allowable use of mercury.
- Promoting appropriate health care services for exposed populations, especially in ASGM areas.